Alas I didn’t personally interview the legendary David Swensen, creator of the Yale portfolio model. Monevator is a small fish in the big, shark-infested ocean of the financial media!
Rather Mike over at Oblivious Investor spotted these WealthTrack video interviews with Swensen on YouTube.
The interviews give an up-to-date insight into Swensen’s thinking, and are far less frenetic than the “future of the world in two seconds!” soundbites you get on CNBC.
Here are the two videos for the investing geeks among you, followed by my usual Saturday links:
This week’s money blog post round-up
- Fellow money blogger Lazy Man and Money almost died choking on a pizza crust, and can still write a wry post on the subject. Get well-adjusted soon Lazy Man!
- The Digerati Life is cautious about the stock market rally.
- The Dividend Guy offers a U.S. investor’s take on the best dividend stocks in the world.
- Free Money Finance rails against robotic responses from store staff. (I think this is perhaps a more American response to poor customer service. We Brits are generally happier not to be noticed from the moment we enter to leaving. No wonder self-scan checkouts are taking off here!)
- Frugal Dad wonders where we lost our self-reliance.
- Oblivious Investor doesn’t trust financial statements.
- Wealth Pilgrim has a counter-intuitive take on why you should buy books rather than use a library.
- Get Rich Slowly explains how to budget for an irregular income. (J.D. has that problem with his monster blog income. A nice problem to have!)
- Moolanomy reminds us to make savings automatic.
A few mainly UK-focused articles from the big boys
- Foxtons founder and past market timer Jon Hunt thinks the UK housing market is bottoming out, says the FT.
- T.D. Waterhouse is offering a £75 incentive fee for ISA transfers (FT again).
- The Economist says plunging U.S. commercial property prices will provide the banks and the authorities with their next big headache.
- The Motley Fool UK is running a fun summer quiz. The winner gets its share newsletter free for a year. Enter by August 7th.
- Investment manager Ben Yearsley of Hargreaves Landsdown reveals what he is holding to The Independent.
Let me prepare your weekend reading for you every Saturday! Subscribe (for free) via email or RSS for regular updates.