Some good reads from around the web.
As I look back over the last 12 years, what is most impressive about index investing isn’t the rock bottom fees or respectable long-term returns, it’s how index investors avoided thousands of disasters in the marketplace that torpedoed the savings of millions of investors.
Index investors were not the victims of dozens of Ponzi scams or hundreds of multi-billion dollar corporate and municipal bankruptcies, nor were they they casualties of poor investment advice from self-proclaimed market experts.
When index funds fail, they fail because the market falls.
True, I do suspect we’ll see some unexpected incident some day – a good reason to avoid synthetic ETFs – but at least index funds aren’t compromised at birth.
Happy Christmas to all our readers, and here’s to an enriching 2012!
Money and investing blogs
- 1974: Another gloomy year for investors – Vanguard blog
- Does the Santa Claus rally exist? – Allan Roth / CBS
- [Old but] the blue Euro bond proposal is gaining traction – Bruegel
- Attending a local Bogleheads investment group – Get Rich Slowly
- Going all-in on Vanguard LifeStrategy – Oblivious Investor
- Money Mustache Vs Tourist Trap – Mr Money Mustache
- An alternative take on compound interest – Simple Living In Suffolk
- Investing in Ben Graham’s net-net shares today – GuruFocus
- Starting to invest: On being conservative – Canadian Finance Blog
- Peter Lynch’s 25 rules of investment – Mark Carter
- Warren Buffett’s evolution – Can Turtles Fly?
- Religion (and race) and economics – Stumbling and Mumbling
Deal of the week: Still trying to understand how the global economy got into such a mess? Philip Coogan’s new book Paper Promises is receiving some praise. Not exactly full of Christmas cheer, mind.
Mainstream media money
- The servant problem – The Economist
- Top tips for financial planning in 2012 – FT
- UK retail bond issuance to treble in 2012 – FT
- What the UK property market did in 2011 – FT
- Prime London property is up 14% on the year – FT
- ‘Experts’ predict house price falls in 2012 – Guardian
- Top places to live for quality of life in UK – Guardian
- Baby boomers were more frugal in their youth – Telegraph
- Investing in gold in 2012 – Telegraph
- Every stock market index is down in 2012 – Telegraph
- A day with Tamara Ecclestone, billionaire – Independent
- Don’t bet on fund managers [that’s what I took from it!] – Independent
Why not subscribe (it’s free) to get more money-minded in 2012?