My regular roundup of the week’s best money blogs and financial articles.
I went a bit crazy this week, with four articles on Anthony Bolton. (My last Bolton in China post has links to the other three). I also wrote about a Joseph Stiglitz lecture I attended, and a chap selling his future income for £1 million.
Regular readers may recall my goal to write shorter articles – the Bolton extravaganza was the sliced-and-diced result. But someone going deeper with more forethought was Adam Baker of ManVs Debt, who posted a three-part series on real estate at Get Rich Slowly.
Baker’s series is my blog post of the week. In among the personal story are great insights into the reality of investing in rental properties.
For a taster, he writes…
I left the property and drove straight to the courthouse to file the eviction. I had a long list of violations and tenant complaints against Amber and the on-time monthly payment was no longer worth the hassle. I had dealt with volatile tenants before, but nothing like what I had inherited in Amber!
… which sums up why I prefer buying shares to direct property ownership, despite the attractions of leveraging up with housing.
If you’re still keen on becoming a landlord, Wealth Pilgrim also posted on property this week, sensibly emphasizing cashflow.
More highlights from the personal finance blogs
- Is a college degree worth anything? – Bad Money Advice
- 6 advantages of automatic saving – Bible Money Matters
- Turn financial peer pressure around – MoneyNing (by Mike)
- Evaluating the costs of a longer commute – Len Penzo
- Top 10 ways to woo on a budget – Budgets are Sexy
- Why the GDP needs a makeover – Eliminate the Muda (by Ryan)
- 5 ways to be happier, guaranteed – MBAbriefs
- Frugal vegetarian meal plans – Money Funk
- How to get your supermotivated boyfriend to marry you – Financial Samurai
- Featured carnivals: Best of Money #37 and The Best of the Best #11
Other interesting financial and money articles
- Thoughts on the risk-free rate – Musing on markets
- Unhappy millionaire to give away his wealth – The Age
- Will austerity make him happier? – iii blog
- Never short a country with $2 trillian in reserves – China Financial markets
- Hugh Hendry warns the China bulls – The Telegraph
- 20% VAT to follow UK election? – The Times
- Dogs of the Dow explained – The Times
- Northern Rock offers 3.99% fee-free two-year fix – The Times
- …while buy-to-let yields drop to 4.75% – The FT
- Avoid private share placings – The Independent
- Companies paying dividends early to beat 50% tax rate… – The FT
- …while Diageo might relocate due to tax hikes – The Motley Fool
Save the cost of a weekend paper by subscribing to get this free update!