Good reads from around the Web.
I may have taken the week off to get festive, but a surprising number of other writers didn’t.
Blame, the Americans, who don’t even take Boxing Day off! No wonder they got to the moon.
Mind you, I’m sure more of you are shopping in the Sales then reading financial websites right now. Online shopping has been a boon for me at this time of year, as for decades I sat in the provinces over Christmas and the New Year with family. By the time I got back to London, it was size 44 large or bust – and not even my seasonally prodigious appetite could match that.
Here’s a shortcut to the sales where I’ve been picking up a few bargains:
Happy new year!
From the blogs
Making good use of the things that we find…
- When active beats passive – Rick Ferri
- Bill Gross got lucky again (with his bond picks) – The Finance Buff
- Predicting bond fund returns: Past performance or yield? – Oblivious Investor
- Adding Vodafone to a HYP – Retirement Investing Today
- Gobbling up the all-you-can-eat data buffet – Investing Caffeine
- The 6 biggest investing lessons of 2012 – The Reformed Broker
- Apple is no Polaroid, but… – The Brooklyn Investor
- Cure yourself of tiny details syndrome – Mr Money Mustache
- Beware of investors bearing charts – Crawling Road blog
- Channel 4 is looking for Britain’s savvy spenders – Miss Thrifty
- True professionals don’t fear amateurs – Seth Godin
Mainstream media money
Note: Some links are to Google search results – these enable you to click through to read the piece without you being a paid subscriber of the site
- Swedroe: Great economies don’t usually mean great returns – CBS
- Roth: 3 financial predictions for 2013 – CBS
- Emerging markets: The passive choice? – FT beyondbrics
- Is the bond bull market over? – The New York Times
- Country markets by CAPE ratio [Graph] – Business Insider
- Americans miss $200 billion abandoning stocks – Bloomberg
- Top 12 investing tools of 2012 [US bias] – TradeStreaming
- Emerging markets in 2012 [Returns chart] – FT beyondbrics
Other stuff worth reading
- 2013: N0 more ‘free’ financial advice [Search result] – FT
- Southend heads property winners and losers in 2012 – Guardian
- Only your investing goals matter – New York Times
- The big corruption in small gifts – Wall Street Journal
- Do we face a Star Wars or a Star Trek future? – FT Alphaville
- Buffett says women will save US economy – Telegraph
- What’s it like to be an adult and not have kids? – Slate
Like these links? Subscribe to get them every week!