Good reads from around the Web.
A slightly shorter list from me this weekend, as I’m preparing this edition of Weekend Reading on Friday ahead of an early start.
In particular, there’s no links from the Saturday papers. Gasp!
So if you spot anything worth sharing, please do share it with the rest of the monevated in the comments below.
Fans of Warren Buffett should also look out for his annual shareholder letter, which should be published this weekend.
Again, please do pop a link in the comments if you see it. 🙂
Have a good one!
From the blogs
Making good use of the things that we find…
- Managing risks vs managing returns – A Wealth of Common Sense
- Hedge funds have been a disaster: Statistics – Pension Partners
- 98% of day traders lose money – Investing Caffeine
- ARM: Tech titan on sale – iii blog
- Can a high-earning millennial still aspire to retire at 50? – R.I.T.
- Get rich with perspective – The Escape Artist
- Step close to the edge to love your life more – The Financial Samurai
Product of the week: With £5 knocked off the price at WHSmith, you can now buy a pack to help you write your own Will for just £20. ThisIsMoney asks a solicitor if this is one bargain you’ll live to regret. (Well, you won’t, but you know what I mean…)
Mainstream media money
Some links are Google search results – in PC/desktop view these enable you to click through to read the piece without being a paid subscriber of that site.1
- The market is only about as volatile as it ever was – Motley Fool
- Index funds: Presumed guilty – Morningstar
- Rob Arnott: Smart beta could go ‘horribly wrong’ [Search result] – FT
- Don’t be fooled by the ‘Alpha mirage’ – Bloomberg
- 10 small cap value shares for contrarian investors – Interactive Investor
- Pimco: Emerging markets could be the trade of the decade – Bloomberg
- Hedge funds: Not dead, just resting – The Economist
- Beware bad coffee if shopping for a hedge fund – Business Insider
A word from a broker
- 3 advantages of property shares over buy-to-let – Hargreaves Lansdown
- What’s so special about China? – TD Direct
Other stuff worth reading
- Thousands told their pension savings could be at risk – BBC
- Brexit risk pushing up the price of foreign holidays – ThisIsMoney
- Would Osborne really scrap the tax-free lump sum? – ThisIsMoney
- The absurdity behind high-frequency trading – Motley Fool (US)
- New tool to calculate best London commuter towns – Totally Money
- Play Warren Buffett bingo with his next shareholder letter – Bloomberg
- A profile of frugal guru Mr Money Mustache – The New Yorker
- Failure to lunch – The New York Times
- Hacking the mind’s biology – The Washington Post
Book of the week: Does anyone around here but me still love poetry? I’ve just bought yet another copy of Alice Oswald’s Memorial to give to a dear friend this weekend as a birthday present. If you believe they don’t write them like they used to, get this. Gloomy, mind.
Like these links? Subscribe to get them every week!
- Note some articles can only be accessed through the search results if you’re using PC/desktop view (from mobile/tablet view they bring up the firewall/subscription page). To circumvent, switch your mobile browser to use the desktop view. On Chrome for Android: press the menu button followed by “Request Desktop Site”. [↩]